I got back from my Christmas/New Year vacation, and then there were friends from Singapore in town: lisiepeasie, thedak and his brother. They didn't stay with me, but we hung out for the better part of their five-day visit. Here's my hit list:
- The Golden Hind --- for hearty fish and chips.
- Borough Market --- for food, glorious food. My personal favourites: Kappacasein's raclette sandwiches or other cheesy concoctions, Brindisa's chorizo roll, Shellseekers' scallops with fried bacon (hat tip: hotelprguy), and the guys grilling meat and veggies for sandwiches beside Southwark Cathedral near the London Bridge side (hat tip: neilburton). To take home: Pâté Moi's mushroom pâté and KäseSwiss/Boerenkaas' Swiss cheese. lisiepeasie also approved of the selection at Borough Olives.
- The Modern Pantry --- for a delectable modern British meal.
- Brick Lane --- good hipstery fun (oh, go on, just embrace it).
- Jack the Ripper walk --- if you like that sort of thing. thedak and lisiepeasie also gave the thumbs' up to the same company's Harry Potter film locations walk in Westminster.
- Barrafina (image above; hat tip: Stellou) --- fantastic tapas and wine, plus a no-reservations policy so showing up early totally pays off. If you like blood sausage, go for the morcilla iberica with quail eggs like everyone on foursquare tells you to.