But this year it didn't really loom as a major date on my calendar or my consciousness. Some possible reasons why, when I sat down and thought about it:
- I don't watch local free-to-air TV channels.
- I don't read the local papers.
- I no longer live in a public housing estate, which means that no one bugs me about flying the Singapore flag and I'm not as surrounded by government-sponsored banners with grotesque mugshots of politicians grinning down at me.
- When mr brown highlighted the un-originality of this year's National Day music video, I was too impatient that day to wait for the videos to load on the page and just took his word for it.
- The only person I know who was remotely involved in the preparations for the upcoming National Day Parade is a friend who did some traffic duty for his annual National Service reservist requirement.
Oh, and I didn't watch today's opening ceremony to the Beijing Olympics either, though I enjoyed the images collected at The Big Picture.
Labels: Singapore stories